Churches in Himachal

Churches

CHURCHES IN HIMACHAL PRADESH

The most important buildings are churches in Himachal Pradesh. As Christianity made a late appearance in Himachal Pradesh, after the arrival of the British. The churches in Himachal Pradesh are not more than 150 years old. Tall churches-the relics of the Raj, are to be found mainly in the small hill stations that the British created as summer retreats. The second oldest church of Northern India's also in Himachal Pradesh. Himachal Pradesh Chuurches are the main tourist attraction. Churches of Himachal Pradesh show the history of state. Main churches in Himachal Pradesh are Christ Church, Kasauli, Christ Church, Shimla, St. Johns Church, Dalhousie, and St. Patrick's Church.

christ-church
Christ Church (Shimla)
Situated on the Ridge is Christ Church in Himachal Pradesh, which is the second oldest church in Northern India. It has a very majestic appearance and inside there are stained glass windows which represent faith, hope, charity, fortitude, patience and humility. Christ Church in Himachal Pradesh is a place all visitors should spend some time in. It was designed by Colonel JT Boileau in 1844, but consecrated only after 1857.The clock was donated by Colonel Dumbleton in 1860, and the porch added in 1873.In fact it has become synonymous with Shimla and no picture of two Town is complete without it. The Christ Church, with its tall spire dominates the ridge in Shimla. This imposing structure is visible from as far away as Tara Devi, 8 km away. The Christ Church of Himachal Pradesh was designed to accommodate the entire Shimla congregation. Various memorials and stained glass windows fill the somber interior with color and light of Christ Church in Himachal Pradesh.
christ-church-kasauli
Christ Church (Kasauli)
Kasauli is still unspoilt and very much as the British left it fifty years ago. Christ Church is very fine old church in Himachal Pradesh. It is a typically angular structure of representing the old time. Its foundation stone was laid in 1884. Well proportioned, its spires, buttresses and gothic arches are framed against the stately deodars.
st-john-church-dalhousie
St. John's Church (Dalhousie)
This Church stands on the Gandhi Chowk approximately 2 kms. from the main bus stand of Dalhousie. This Church was the first to be built after the town of Dalhousie was founded. The church building stands in a good condition but its surroundings demand much better care. Service is conducted on every Sunday. There is a library situated just at the left side of the enterance gate. You can relax and find some really useful material regarding Dalhousie here. You can see many old and rare photographs of the British time. This library is worth visiting for those who seek a good knowledge about Dalhousie. Reverend John H. Pratt was its first paster in 1863. Its architectural design is Victorian.
st-patrik-church
St. Patrick's Church
This Church is situated in Baloon, Dalhousie Cantt., on Military Hospital road approximately 2 kms. from main bus stand. St. Patrick's Church is the largest church in Dalhousie having a seating capacity of 300 persons in its main hall. The Church was built in the year 1909 and the dressed-stone building is still in good condition. This Church was built exclusively from contribution made by officers and ranks of the British Army. At present the Church is managed and maintained by the Catholic Diocese of Jalandhar.